A grit pick not only provides the budgie with the grit it needs for digestion, but also important minerals, depending on the grit mix chosen.
- Silicone baking pan (6,5cm x 3cm x 1,5cm)
- Stainless steel wire (to attach to the cage)
- Wooden skewers or similar
- 3 TBSP Bird grit
- 1 TSP Clay powder
- 2 TSP Herb mixture (dried)
- 1 TSP. ground psyllium husks
- 2 tablespoons water
- Mix the water with the psyllium husks and leave for 15-20 minutes. allow to swell.
- Mix in bird grit, then add clay powder and mix everything well.
- Mix in dried herbs.
- Mix everything well until a uniform mass is formed.
- Pour mixture into silicone mold and press firmly (3 bars).
- Pinch off three pieces, each 5cm long, from the wooden skewer.
- Also from the stainless steel wire cut three pieces of 10cm each.
- Attach one piece of stainless steel wire to each wooden skewer.
- Score mass in center of each mold.
- Press each a wooden skewer with wire into the grit.
- Press mixture firmly over wooden skewer.
- Put the mold in the oven and bake at 90°C for about 45min. let dry.
- Remove silicone mold from oven and let cool.
- Grit stones carefully release from the mold and again at 90°C for about 30-45min. let dry.
- Then take all the Grit stones out of the oven and let them cool.
Before use, the grit pick should be allowed to dry thoroughly for 1-2 days.