Unfortunately, many budgie owners are not aware of the danger posed by non-stick coatings (Teflon) and so you read again and again about how all the budgies in a cage “suddenly” fell dead from the perch.
Above a certain temperature (approx. 220°C), a Teflon coating releases the gas “fluorphosgene”, which is extremely toxic to birds. After inhaling this gas, the birds usually die within 30min.
Here are some examples:
- Raclette with non-stick coating
- Fondue with non-stick coating
- Waffle iron, sandwich maker, etc.
- Pans and pots with non-stick coating
- Iron with Teflon soleplate
- Oven (esp. self-cleaning)